Next 4 Week Beginner and Beginner/Foundation Courses start Saturday 6 May 2017. Pay $80.00 and attend the Tuesday and Saturday classes. These classes are suitable for new and continuing students. Check the timetable for class times for May 2017.
Regular Students may also attend any of these classes using their 5 or 10 class card.
The Thursday Yoga Basics class starts at 6.00pm and finishes at 7.15pm. The Thursday Yoga Basics class is suitable for students who may be working with existing injuries and individual constraints.
Chris and Joan, the principal teachers, at Queanbeyan Yoga Room, both hold an Introductory Level 2 Certificate with the BKS Iyengar Association of Australia, and completed Their Preliminary Teacher Training with Alan Goode, Yoga Mandir.
The Iyengar Yoga method is based on the teachings of BKS Iyengar. The practice of Iyengar Yoga is characterised by precision and alignment, planned sequencing, timing and use of props. Practice builds strength, stamina, balance and flexibility, which bring a sense of freedom and balance. The use of props makes Iyengar Yoga accessible to people of all ages by facilitating alignment and support in practice. With practice, awareness is developed and the mind is trained to focus on the present moment. This allows practitioners to experience quiet and stillness.
The Iyengar Teacher Certification mark (pictured below) is used under licence by certified Iyengar Yoga teachers worldwide. The mark demonstrates a committment of the teacher to maintaining the purity, excellence and high standards of Iyengar Yoga. Certified Iyengar Yoga teachers complete years of intensive teacher training, undergo a rigorous asessment of their teaching and practice, and undertake continuing education to maintain and upgrade their certification to teach. Only certified Iyengar teachers are entitled to use the name of yoga master BKS Iyengar and his teaching method.
"Asana is a position where the practitioner works, co-ordinates and balances the organs of action, senses of perception, the muscles, ligaments, the tendons, the fibres, the sinews of the body as well as mind, ego, intellect and consciousness in unison, interweaving the gross physical body, the subtle mental body and the causal spritual body."
- BKS Iyengar, Light on Astanga Yoga
The new Queanbeyan Yoga Room studio is now running classes for all levels, from beginner to experienced.
Queanbeyan Yoga Room currently offers classes at four levels:
1. 4 Week Beginner Courses. This is the ideal start point for students new to yoga or new to Iyengar Yoga. Students enrolling in either the Tuesday or Saturday course may attend both classes for the one enrollment fee.
2. 4 Week Beginner/Foundation Courses. These classes build on the work undertaken in the 4 Week Beginner Courses. Students enrolling in either the Tuesday or Saturday course may attend both classes for the one enrollment fee.
2. Yoga Basics for those with some prior yoga experience. Also suitable for those working with injury or individual constraints.
3. Yoga Basics/General. For those with some experience in Iyengar Yoga. Alternative poses and modifications are given to accommodate the experience levels within individual classes.
Being a small studio, dedicated to the teaching and practice of Iyengar Yoga, we are able to design classes to suit the level of experience of the student body. The current timetable accommodates students of differing experience levels within the same class. If you have any questions as to which classes are suitable for you, please ring or email Chris to discuss.
Please use the Contact form for any questions, or speak to Chris by phone or at the QYR.
Please use the Contact form to express your interest to attend a particular class or classes.